Saturday, April 20, 2013

One down, 7 more to go.

Day to day life at the hospital is pretty uneventful. A nurse or tech comes in every four hours to check my temperature, ask if anything has changed, remind me to check for tenderness, change in discharge color/smell, and ask if I need anything. I do see a doctor every day but it's just the same old same old " any changes?"-no, "any questions?" -nope.  After my 4th day I did get special 'wheel chair privileges' meaning, John can roll me outside for 30 minutes a day.  The food is terrible  but John is amazing and has been cooking all of our meals. Of course all the nurses get jealous when they walk in a smell chorizo, so we plan to host a thank you breakfast at some point during our stay. 

Wednesday night I was greeted by a group of volunteers who host arts & crafts every week. This week was flower pot decorating in celebration of Earth Day. So I let them wheel me down the hall to the craft room, getting sad pity smiles like I was a mental patient going to my scheduled puzzle time and immediately regretted my decision to participate. In the end it wasn't so bad and I left with a flower pot that would match the nursery and all the details of a Harry Potter themed wedding one of the volunteers was planning for next winter. 

Among my other accomplishments this week I learned how to play mine sweeper, did you know those numbers actually mean something? I use to just click blindly until I blew up; but I have come to learn it is actually a strategy game who would've thought?

Saturday is when things actually got interesting around here. The nurses came in and woke us up to get me ready for an ultra sound YAY! I had been leaking very little and was hopeful we would see some fluid built back up. Plus the baby had also been moving around like crazy all week, so I wondered if it was due to extra room. The tech showed as that while there was fluid it was all mixed up with the cord so it doesn't count because it can't be accurately measure. The baby's bladder and kidneys still looked really great and were functioning properly and since the baby is breech (and will likely stay that way) we don't have to worry so much about a squished brain. So there was still some good news. The tech also said that since I am not leaking much it just means that the baby is absorbing or using most of the fluid and what leaks out is just what's left over. She then asked if we knew what we were having and we told her a girl, she then went to measure the baby's legs got this puzzled look on her face and asked "Are you sure? That looks mighty suspicious..." So in the spirit of nothing going according to plan in this pregnancy...we are actually having a boy! This is no longer Selah's pPROM story but Milo's.

His full name is Milo Ethan Rupp. We really liked the name Milo and found it rather funny that it means merciful destroyer; because let's face it, my uterus has endured some heavy destruction these past 5 months. Ethan stands for strong, optimistic, solid and enduring which adequately describe this pregnancy as well. He is now 25 weeks and still no complications, in 3 more weeks we will get the second dose of steroids and hope to continue on until 32 weeks. Hopefully then we will be able to find evidence of his lungs maturity and we will schedule a c-section around June 8th. 

No comments:

Post a Comment